HSBC Foreign Currency Account
Use your foreign currency account for transactions and withdrawals, and earn interest on your balance
Protect yourself from foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations by holding foreign currency accounts and make your foreign currency transaction easy, hassle- free and affordable.
You have a choice of major foreign currencies: Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Euro (EUR), Chinese Yuan (CNY), Hong Kong (HKD), Pound Sterling (GBP), South African Rand (ZAR), and United States Dollar (USD).
Quick access to selected currencies
- Deposit and withdraw* cash in above foreign currencies at any HSBC branch without any conversion charge.
- Withdraw cash from ATMs worldwide in the country/region's currency and save on exchange charges. If withdrawal is in the same currency* as foreign currency account, no conversion fee will be charged
- Buy or sell your foreign currency notes* at attractive rates at any HSBC branch.
- Save and earn interest on selected currencies.
Smooth payment and transfers
- Send and receive money directly through an HSBC Foreign Currency Account in the same currency at no conversion fee.
- Get preferential exchange rates for payments and transfers on selected currencies on HSBC Internet Banking on any amount. Preferential exchange rates may also be available for transfer amount of Rs 700,000 and above at branch counters.
- Pay, transfer and receive money in up to 15 foreign currencies.
- Pay lower fees on payments and transfers made on HSBC Internet Banking.
Savings on fees and exchange rates
- Protect yourself from foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations by holding foreign currency accounts
- No monthly fee is charged for maintaining account in these currencies.
To be eligible for an HSBC Foreign Currency Account:
- Individuals must be aged 18 or older
- For under 18s, an account has to be operated by a parent or responsible party
- Foreign nationals should produce a letter of reference from their main banks overseas
Apply online for a Foreign Currency Account
Simply fill in the form online and someone will be in touch.
Apply in branch
Find a branch near you to apply in person.
You'll need the following documents in order to apply for an HSBC Foreign Currency Account:
- Proof of identity - identity card or passport
- Letter of reference from the main overseas banks (for foreign nationals)
- Proof of address - Central Electricity Board, Central Water Authority, or Mauritius Telecom
- Bank statements for the last 3 months (for expatriates)
- Proof of work permit (for expatriates)
- Evidence of source of funds may be requested from customers
*Not applicable to Renminbi. Subject to availability of notes and prior reservation may be required.