HSBC Foreign Currency Account
Set free from worries of exchange rate fluctuations
If you are looking for a simple, safe and convenient way to save your money, look no further. A foreign currency account from HSBC provides you with attractive rates and security. You have a choice of major foreign currencies: Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Euro (EUR), Chinese Yuan (CNY), Hong Kong (HKD), Pound Sterling (GBP), South African Rand (ZAR), and United States Dollar (USD).
- Protect yourself from foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations by holding foreign currency accounts
- A minimum balance of 2000 units of the foreign currency should be maintained to receive interest
- For frequent travelers: Withdrawals on foreign currency account can be made with an HSBC ATM Card and Visa/Plus ATM network in Mauritius and abroad
- If withdrawal is in the same currency as foreign currency account, no conversion fee will be charged
- Withdrawals can be made in cash (depending on availability), or by means of Bank Draft or Telegraphic Transfer to an overseas account
- Foreign currency deposits (cash or cheques) are subject to bank charges
- Current account in foreign currency is not available
To be eligible for an HSBC Foreign Currency Account:
- Individuals must be aged 18 or older
- For under 18s, an account has to be operated by a parent or responsible party
- Foreign nationals should produce a letter of reference from their main banks overseas
Apply online for a Foreign Currency Account
Simply fill in the form online and someone will be in touch.
Apply in branch
Find a branch near you to apply in person.
You'll need the following documents in order to apply for an HSBC Foreign Currency Account:
- Proof of identity - identity card or passport
- Letter of reference from the main overseas banks (for foreign nationals)
- Proof of address - Central Electricity Board, Central Water Authority, or Mauritius Telecom
- Bank statements for the last 3 months (for expatriates)
- Proof of work permit (for expatriates)
- Evidence of source of funds may be requested from customers
Terms and conditions apply.